Thursday, April 3, 2014

Reflections on My Practising time by Elin N.

My name is Elin and I was placed in a retirement home called Billingshäll at Kävlinge. I think it is a very good idea with practicing during your education because we get into it and look upon it from another point of view and not just read books. You don’t really know if you’re going to like to do this kind of work after you finish school by only reading about it.

I enjoyed the retirement home very much because the people working there were very kind and thus I really liked them. They were very nice against me and the old people. I became one of them fast.

I learnt a lot, I can’t remember everything but I’ll try to write it all down. I learnt how to talk and use the right voice tone to the different old men and women. I learnt how to take care of them and how to wash them and how to change diapers on them. I also learnt how to feed them. And I learnt how to take care of a person with certain needs. I learnt how to make porridge.  And I learnt to wash their faces and take care of their teeth and dentures.


A special thing that happened to me was when an old woman that I was kind of close to fell and hurt her lung so badly that the lung was punctured. And my supervisor asked me to stay with her in her room until the ambulance arrived, and so I did. I was sitting beside her on the side of her bed and held her hand and she said to me ‘Don’t leave me’. Tome it felt like she trusted me and it was a big moment for me. This made a great impact on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment